This week is National Curry Week
With its complex combinations of spices and herbs, curry is one of Britain’s favourite dishes. There are many varieties of dishes with an array of different ingredients. We Brits love a good old curry, so in homage to the wonderful dish I wanted to share with you a little recipe I love and its vegan:
Sensational Potato Coconut Curry
- 6 potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil (I use extra virgin olive oil)
- 1 red onion, chopped up
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons of dried coriander
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 4 teaspoons curry powder
- 4 teaspoons garam masala
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 tin cooked chickpeas, drained
- 1 tin peas, drained
- 1 tin coconut milk or you can simply use cooked spinach
- Fresh coriander to garnish
- With the chopped potatoes, place in a saucepan and heat then simmer for 15-20 minutes. Drain then cover for a few minutes.
- Get a frying pan and heat the oil slowly on medium heat. Then stir in the onions until very lightly cooked, then add in all the spices, curry powder and coriander, stir and cook gently. After this, carefully pour in the coconut milk (or add in spinach instead), chickpeas, peas and tomatoes, Simmer for about 10 minutes then serve.
Why not serve up with a portion of basmati rice.