Autumn walks can hide toxic plants for animals

Watch out for hidden toxic plants, this Autumn

With four seasons altogether, Autumn is the third one and occurs between summer and winter.

I love the autumn, with the crumbling leaves under foot and a beautiful array of rich colours sweeping all around, it’s truly delightful.

However, lurking outdoors are many potential dangers for animals, in particular from autumn plants. Naturally, dogs and cats like to explore but as they do they could face serious consequences which could be avoided.

Make sure your pet stays safe by watching out for certain plants which can be toxic to them. Animals will often eat plants which can be dangerous especially if they consume large amounts. Looking out for these in your garden or when out walking can help avoid any dangerous accidents or fatalities.

  • There are many poisonous parts of a Horse Chestnut tree, if swallowed even conkers can be fatal.
  • Acorns can be toxic, in particular the green ones.
  • Every part of the Yew Tree can be toxic and even fatal.
  • Autumn Crocuses plants are toxic.

Keeping your garden safe is essential, so knowing which plants are most deadly will help you to avoid your dog or cat from getting these poisonous flowers and plants!

Check your garden for any potential toxic plants and remove any as soon as possible. Keep a close eye on what your pet is eating, as they could be tucking into a potentially toxic plant of some kind.

Keep a close eye on any possible symptoms such as sickness, diarrhea, pain or breathing problems.

Here are just some of the poisonous plants out there:

  • Autumn Crocus
  • Azalea
  • Cyclamen
  • Kalanchoe
  • Lillies
  • Oleander
  • Dieffenbachia
  • Daffodils
  • Lily of the Valley
  • Sago Palm
  • Tulips and Hyacinths

If your pet has eaten a plant and you are uncertain what it is, bring them to a veterinary immediately. Even though signs may be seen instantly these can be delayed for days.

Prompt action and correct identification of a suspected substance is very important. Take the label/container along with you to the veterinarian, this quickly.

If you have any concerns or suspect your animal has been poisoned visit your veterinary for advice immediately.

Join our mailing list for up to date news about our work